Inappropriate use of private meetings & lists. (reply to).

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Wed Jul 2 11:25:55 EDT 2008

As not everyone has admin access on mailman.laptop.org, here is the
text to which JG linked:

reply_goes_to_list (general): Where are replies to list messages
directed? Poster is strongly recommended for most mailing lists.

This option controls what Mailman does to the Reply-To: header in
messages flowing through this mailing list. When set to Poster, no
the original message, it is not stripped. Setting this value to
either This list or Explicit address causes Mailman to insert a
specific Reply-To: header in all messages, overriding the header in
the original message if necessary (Explicit address inserts the value
of reply_to_address).

There are many reasons not to introduce or override the Reply-To:
header. One is that some posters depend on their own Reply-To:
settings to convey their valid return address. Another is that
modifying Reply-To: makes it much more difficult to send private
replies. See "Reply-To Munging Considered Harmful" (http://
www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html) for a general discussion of
this issue. See "Reply-To Munging Considered Useful" (http://
www.metasystema.net/essays/reply-to.mhtml) for a dissenting opinion.