Samba's alloc_mmap and mem pressure on the XS - tinkerers?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 00:40:43 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 10:12 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> Opening post cross-posted to devel@ but please reply only to server-devel@ :-)

Argh. Getting old and stuff. I seem to be losing my memory - it was
alloc_mmap. After this correction, let's go back to server-devel@ :-)

Tridge says:

no, I wasn't talking about talloc. Changing to talloc is an
interesting project, but it is not trivial, and doesn't help at all
with reducing memory usage (it aims to make programming in C less
error prone).

I was talking about alloc_mmap, which is a malloc replacement that has
low overhead and agressively gives memory back to the OS.

See http://samba.org/~tridge/junkcode/alloc_mmap/

Whether it will help with apache depends on the allocation patterns
apache uses. I'm sure it will work with apache, but you won't know if
it will reduce memory overheads without trying it.

Also, I think apache uses its own pool allocator internally, which
means you may need to graft alloc_mmap into apache rather than just
using a LD_PRELOAD in order to get the most benefit.

Cheers, Tridge

 - - -

cheers,

martin