Using Matplotlib in Measure Activity

Arjun Sarwal arjun at laptop.org
Thu Jan 31 12:00:10 EST 2008

(my previous post didnt get posted it seems. If it did/does please
ignore this copy)

Hi,

For some time I have been thinking about extending the functionality
of Measure Activity into a tool that also allows for graphical
analysis of data acquired not just from sensors/mic but data acquired
from any source. For example this data can also be a set of values
entered manually or something acquired say as RGB values from the
camera. In this regard I am thinking upon two areas

(1) A standard format for data sets. For example this could be data
that the Distance Activity at a later stage logs as a set of distance
readings or a set of sensor values (which Measure already reads)etc.
At this point of time, I can think that data may represent information
about more than one dimension also, for example pixel values in a
picture taken from the mic.
Is there an already (standard) set of existing data formats or ways of
organizing and storing numbers that I can
adopt or should I just make up my own ?

(2) To allow for a variety of multiple views, representations and
basically allowing more control over the way data is represented, I am
considering using Matplotlib. See some screenshots here
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html

I still plan to explore this API a bit further, however does anyone
have any immediate thoughts on this ?
The main aspect being a comparison of the overheads of adding this
package on the XO vs the long term benefits of having such
functionality that other Activities can also make use of.

thanks in advance.
Arjun

--
Arjun Sarwal