Salut/avahi/meshview issues

Ivan Krstić krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Wed Jan 30 11:25:07 EST 2008

On Jan 30, 2008, at 5:12 PM, Michail Bletsas wrote:
> For completely serverless environments, what we have is invaluable.
> The
> fact that it doesn't scale to large numbers of nodes doesn't make it
> useless.

I'm similarly confused about people's insistence on a rigid dichotomy
between the approaches. I never regarded our mesh work to be aimed at
replacing proper infrastructure -- its goal was to provide a viable
(if degraded) transport when proper infrastructure was prohibitively
expensive or otherwise not an option. We always knew that this
approach carried scaling limits, and that's _fine_. As Michail says,
this by no means makes the system useless.

> We have serious problems making Avahi and even the Jabber server do
> their
> thing with small numbers of nodes

These two are very different. Avahi is hitting design and network
limits. With Jabber, the problem is our ugly shared roster hack which
makes the system do something it's not designed to; this is not an
issue intrinsic to Jabber.

--
Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | http://radian.org