tcp/ip assumptions

Thomas Tuttle olpc at ttuttle.net
Mon Jan 28 22:13:01 EST 2008

I'm confused as to what you mean by a "relay" system.  If you mean it's
a router, then it should route the NTP packets fine.  If you mean it's
an HTTP proxy, then NTP simply doesn't work over an HTTP proxy.

I don't understand why you expect the XO to magically figure out how you
want your network to work.  NTP is routed over TCP/IP.  If you want it
to work, you have to provide TCP/IP routing to the server!  If you don't
want to, you can run an NTP server on your "relay" system.

There's nothing wrong with the XO making assumptions as to the external
services available, as the school servers will have NTP servers, and if
the laptop is on the mesh network, it will have access to the server.

If I've made an incorrect assumption here, or made a mistake, please let
me know.

Thanks,

Thomas Tuttle