Python Development

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Mon Jan 28 16:50:26 EST 2008

Hi,

   > The process works fine until I try to create a package and the
   > system cannot find "sugar.activity". I cannot find it with "find".

You should "./sugar-jhbuild shell" before using other sugar-jhbuild
commands.  (Or perform the commands *inside* the sugar-jhbuild run.)

The way that python module loading works is that . is used to signify
directory hierarchies -- "import sugar.activity" will look for
something like "sugar/activity/__init__.py" in $PYTHONPATH.

   > 2. Having failed with Sugar-jhbuild, I put qemu on my laptop and
   > went that way. Qemu seems to want to run but generates an error
   > message on trying to open my image:

   > y7150 at Fluffy:~$ qemu -m 256 -hda /home/olpc/XOimg/os650.img qemu:
   > could not open hard disk image '/home/olpc/XOimg/os650.img'

This is a jffs2 image, which is a flash filesystem.  You should use
an ext3 image for qemu.  For 650:

   http://xs-dev.laptop.org/~cscott/olpc/streams/ship.2/build650/devel_ext3/olpc-redhat-stream-ship.2-devel_ext3.img.bz2

You might consider instead using an Update.1 build, which is the build
that we're hoping to release soon:

   http://pilgrim.laptop.org/~pilgrim/olpc/streams/update.1/build690/devel_ext3/xo-1-olpc-stream-update.1-devel_ext3.img.bz2

Hope that helps.  Further questions are probably best posted to the
sugar@ list instead of devel at .

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>