XO as standalone dev system (was: Re: compiler / glibc optimization)

Bennett Todd bet at rahul.net
Sat Jan 26 00:28:53 EST 2008

2008-01-26T04:58:47 C. Scott Ananian:
> 2008/1/25 Bennett Todd <bet at rahul.net>:
> > Does bootanim pull it's 60MB size freight? That's the only thing
> > that struck my eye in a review of rpms by size.
>
> Our filesystem is compressed.  You are looking at uncompressed size.
> The data in question is extremely compressible.

Sure enough. gzip -9 brings that 60MB into line with the 360K Chris
reported.

> Otherwise -- have fun.

Thanks for explaining the discrepancy. This is the first time I've
worked with a live compressed filesystem. This is going to take some
getting used to. I guess the rule should be, estimate space use by
compressing to test, but never store anything compressed unless
you've got data-domain specific knowledge that can let you do better
than whatever LZ-family generic compressor is in the filesystem;
otherwise you're just thwarting the filesystem compression and
adding a wasteful extra layer. That about right?

-Bennett