compiler / glibc optimization

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Fri Jan 25 07:11:10 EST 2008

Rob Savoye wrote:

>> (http://wiki.gnashdev.org/wiki/index.php/Building_OLPC_Tools)
>> Is the geode-patched gcc4.2.1 preferrable for integration with the XO?
>
>   I think Bernie added this to the gcc builds for the XO. I think he
> also added the patched glibc as well. As I use my own toolchains, I
> hadn't checked... :-(

Support for a "geode" arch in the distribution packaging
tools was a missing prerequisite to integrate this work
cleanly.

Dennis thought yum about it a while ago, and the rpm part
has recently been upstreamed.

Now I guess all that's left to do is adding a geode subarch
in koji and use it for some selected packages, such as glibc.
We're already planning to do optimization work during the
Update.2 timeframe.

Here's an experimental rpm based on Rob's work ported
forward to glibc-2.7:

  http://www.codewiz.org/pub/olpc/glibc-geode-2.7/

--
 \___/