compiler / glibc optimization

Albert Cahalan acahalan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 03:46:15 EST 2008

Rob Savoye writes:
> Vasilis Liaskovitis wrote:
>
>> 1) I haven't found a default gcc in my xo system - if there is one,
>> where is it installed ?
>
> "yum install gcc" works. You quickly run out of room for the
> development packages you need,

Well, you do. Partly this is because your project must drag in
all sorts of exotic media libraries. Partly this is because you
chose to use C++, autoconf, automake, libtool, and even Boost.

Plain C works very well on the XO. Installing gcc and some normal
*-devel packages is under 10 MB. I can compile Tux Paint without
even shutting down the GUI ("telinit 3") or enabling swap.
I never need to worry about library mismatch.

I find the XO to be plenty fast at compiles. The XO does almost
as well as my desktop system. Of course, that may say more about
my desktop system and/or standards.

People with the hardware should develop exclusively on the hardware.
If this is too painful, then something is very wrong. Kids deserve
to get a usable system; "view source" becomes a joke if that source
can not be compiled. (core libraries, Python interpreter, etc.)

See also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogfooding