free firmware for 88W8388

stefano.brivio at polimi.it stefano.brivio at polimi.it
Wed Jan 23 10:53:48 EST 2008

Citando Rózsás Gödény <rozsas.godeny at gmail.com>:

> I started to modify qemu to emulate 88W8388. Now it can load the firmware (
> usb8388.bin) into ram and starts the firmware, albeit it drops an error
> after some time. So it is very simple so far, I worked on it for a couple of
> hours so far.
> My short term goals:
> - emulate the usb device of the 8388 and create a connection between the
> linux kernel driver and the emulator so from linux pow starting the emulator
> looks as plugging in the usb device
> - modify qemu so that i/o ports of 8388 could be accessed from outside of
> the emulator. I guess that the arm core of 8388 communicates with the other
> parts (the radio interface) via io ports so if we can see which ports are
> read/written by the arm core we can do the same from the free firmware.
>
> Anyway, if we want to write the free firmware, a good emulator of 8388 is
> handy.
>
> Anybody interested ?

I am. I'm currently analyzing the firmware, I didn't try the emulation
approach so far. Are you committing your work to some repository? I
think we can't disclose details about reverse engineering work,
though, if we are interested in a clean-room approach. So I'd rather
set up a private wiki. I'm quite busy during these days, I'll let you
know ASAP.

--
Ciao
Stefano