free firmware for 88W8388

Rózsás Gödény rozsas.godeny at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 10:37:17 EST 2008

Hello

I started to modify qemu to emulate 88W8388. Now it can load the firmware (
usb8388.bin) into ram and starts the firmware, albeit it drops an error
after some time. So it is very simple so far, I worked on it for a couple of
hours so far.
My short term goals:
- emulate the usb device of the 8388 and create a connection between the
linux kernel driver and the emulator so from linux pow starting the emulator
looks as plugging in the usb device
- modify qemu so that i/o ports of 8388 could be accessed from outside of
the emulator. I guess that the arm core of 8388 communicates with the other
parts (the radio interface) via io ports so if we can see which ports are
read/written by the arm core we can do the same from the free firmware.

Anyway, if we want to write the free firmware, a good emulator of 8388 is
handy.

Anybody interested ?

I took many info from http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Marvell_microkernel and
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/88W8388 so kudos to all who created it.