Tentative Plans for Nepal's School Server and related infrastructure

Ivan Krstić krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Tue Jan 22 17:18:25 EST 2008

On Jan 22, 2008, at 10:28 PM, Bryan Berry wrote:
> We really need the incremental backup feature. That is a core
> requirement that came up many times in last week's OLPC Learning
> Conference.

I'll see about finishing it up for you, then. Please ping me from time
to time to make sure this doesn't drop off my radar.

> But how do you archive personal files once they exceed local
> storage? And how would you browse that archive?

This auto-archival (called 'smart dropoff') will also make its debut
in the new datastore. We will not be able to provide another solution
before then, so like with project and bulletin board support: if you
need something for April, you'll unfortunately have to roll it
yourself. Note that these are pretty hard problems and -- especially
in the absence of relevant expertise -- you're likely to frustrate
yourself and not make too much progress unless you're willing to very
narrowly redefine the problem in terms of a tiny set of core features
and then attempt to build those and no others.

The new datastore should be in (pre-)alpha by April, but the Journal
will not yet be able to use it.

--
Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | http://radian.org