Tentative Plans for Nepal's School Server and related infrastructure

Ivan Krstić krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Tue Jan 22 16:04:38 EST 2008

On Jan 22, 2008, at 9:59 PM, Bryan Berry wrote:
> We are looking to use WebDav to back up the individual student's home
> folder to the school server.

Why on earth WebDAV? Incidentally, I had an almost-finished
incremental backup according to this spec:

<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_backup_restore>

and then got pulled away to deal with some burning issues before
actually finishing it. If you consider this a core requirement, I
could see about getting it out the door for you.

> How do we store team projects for later use? Perhaps the Journal will
> allow us to do this in the future but I have the impression that it is
> still under heavy development. Perhaps, the journal already handles
> this
> well and I am simply misinformed. Please disabuse me of any false
> notions.

The 'projects/bulletin boards' idea is core to the new datastore which
is expected to land into joyride as soon as update.2 leaves the door
for a cycle of testing and integration, and then become a user-facing
feature in update.3, or in about half a year.

>     1. Does the School Identity Manager support LDAP? LDAP support is
>        essential for integrating existing content management systems
> w/
>        the School Server.

The identity manager is a hack. It needs to be rewritten.

>     2. How do students share team projects for later use?

See my answer above re: bulletin boards.

--
Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | http://radian.org