project application: OLPC Europe

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Mon Jan 21 10:11:56 EST 2008

Hi,

we (a group of people starting OLPC Europe, website below) would like to apply
for a project hosted on laptop.orgs infrastructure, currently mostly to have
a central git repository to store the sources for the Documentation,
Presentations, Information, Code and Press Material.

1. Project name             : OLPC Europe
2. Existing website, if any : http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Europe
3. One-line description     : OLPC Europe is a OLPC grassroots organisation in
Europe

4. Longer description       : quoted from
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Europe/Vision

  1 OLPC Europe

  We recognize, that under certain situations an european
  platform can make life easier for local OLPC
  grassroots, also for the newly starting ones, and for
  the people at the MIT. This platform shall under no
  circumstances be meddling with the local grassroots but
  instead help them to grow and flourish.

  We propose the following very simple and basic common
  guidelines which shall help in forming this platform:

  1.1 OLPC Europe IS

        1. a Forum / Platform for exchange between local
        2. groups, towards MIT and back, European institutions
           and with other groups worldwide
        3. helping in organizing XOs for the local groups
        4. supporting and cherishing the autonomy of local groups
        5. focusing on rough consensus and running code

  1.2 OLPC Europe IS NOT
        1. going to do a local pilot in your country
        2. going to tell you what you are allowed to do

5. URLs of similar projects : I dunno ;)

6. Committer list

      Username   Full name             SSH2 key URL                    E-mail
      --------   ---------             ------------                    ------
   #1  holger    Holger Levsen	<holger at layer-acht.org>
   #2  crazy-chris Chris Hager <chris at linuxuser.at>
   #3  bastiaan  Bastiaan Bakker <bastiaan at olpc-nl.org>

   If any developers don't have their SSH2 keys on the web, please attach them
   to the application e-mail.

   -> Chris and me already have a ssh2 key on laptop.org, I'll send Bastiaans
key when I resend the application to access at rt.laptop.org tomorrow - as
described in http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Project_hosting

7. Preferred development model

   [X] Central tree. Every developer can push his changes directly to the
       project's git tree. This is the standard model that will be familiar to
       CVS and Subversion users, and that tends to work well for most
projects.

8. Set up a project mailing list:

   [ ] Yes, named after our project name
   [ ] Yes, named ______________________
   [X] No, not yet. For now we will use
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/grassroots

9. Commit notifications

   [x] A separate mailing list, <projectname>-git, should be created for
commit
       notifications

12. Notes/comments:

Shell accounts and translation infrastructure are not needed.

regards,
	Holger