Why can't i access /dev/dsp or /dev/snd on my XO

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Sat Jan 19 23:25:56 EST 2008

Albert Cahalan wrote:
> On Jan 19, 2008 4:33 PM, victor <Victor.Lazzarini at nuim.ie> wrote:
>
>> I can't speak for TamTam because I am not involved in their
>> design details, but I can say this, Csound's standard score
>> preceeds MIDI by at least a decade (or two if you consider where
>> it came from). It is much more flexible to convey musical data
>> than MIDI. There are MIDI to csound score converters, but
>> that is beside the point, because Csound can play MIDI files
>> directly, receive realtime MIDI data and even output it.
>> There is no problem whatsoever, with the proper instruments,
>> Csound will be a MIDI synthesizer like any other. The main
>> thing is, that it is not limited to it (thank goodness...).
>
> How about showing some support for standards by
> dropping the non-standard stuff? You can #ifdef it.
> Maybe you can even save a few bytes.
>
> If you really must, you can embed the non-standard
> stuff into a MIDI file. It's better to avoid non-standard
> stuff entirely of course, and any extended MIDI file
> had better play decently on a standard MIDI player.

One of the main reasons I got an XO was because it has CSound. It's a
ghastly API, but it's been around for years and there are thousands of
working instruments! There's a huge book on it, and I doubt very
seriously if anyone will ever come up with a digital sound analysis and
synthesis tool set as comprehensive without investing a lot of effort
re-inventing a bunch of wheels, levers, inclined planes and such.

By the way -- I've been meaning to check to see if this is in Trac, but
the csound-manual and csound-tutorial RPMs in the repository appear to
be empty. I can install them, but there isn't anything on the machine
after I do.

I'm also attempting to get some of the Planet CCRMA software loaded on
the system. At this point, all I really want is Common Music -- I don't
need another synthesizer since I have CSound, and I don't need a music
notation program. If anyone else has already done this, I'd love to hear
about it.