Why can't i access /dev/dsp or /dev/snd on my XO

Albert Cahalan acahalan at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 20:29:41 EST 2008

On Jan 19, 2008 4:33 PM, victor <Victor.Lazzarini at nuim.ie> wrote:

> I can't speak for TamTam because I am not involved in their
> design details, but I can say this, Csound's standard score
> preceeds MIDI by at least a decade (or two if you consider where
> it came from). It is much more flexible to convey musical data
> than MIDI. There are MIDI to csound score converters, but
> that is beside the point, because Csound can play MIDI files
> directly, receive realtime MIDI data and even output it.
> There is no problem whatsoever, with the proper instruments,
> Csound will be a MIDI synthesizer like any other. The main
> thing is, that it is not limited to it (thank goodness...).

How about showing some support for standards by
dropping the non-standard stuff? You can #ifdef it.
Maybe you can even save a few bytes.

If you really must, you can embed the non-standard
stuff into a MIDI file. It's better to avoid non-standard
stuff entirely of course, and any extended MIDI file
had better play decently on a standard MIDI player.