OLPC wifi interrupts wireless internet connection of _other_ laptop

Oliver ohardt at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 19:38:53 EST 2008

Hi all,

i have a rather strange problem. While my OLPC (g1g1 model) is turned
on another laptop of mine (Samsung Q10, 5 years old) has serious
trouble connecting to an access point (Linksys BEFW11S4).

I tried turning off the wireless connection of the OLPC
(sugar-control-panel -s radio off) but the problem persists until i
completely turn off the OLPC (with the power button) and restart the
Samsung laptop.

At one point i thought it's the router not being able to handle more
than a fixed number of clients. But the problem is that the Samsung
laptop doesn't even see any wireless networks. It goes so far that
NetStumbler fails with "orinoco error 5".

The wireless adapter of the Samsung is a "Orinoco mini-pc card' by
Lucent. If more information is need please let me know.

Any advice is appreciated. Cheers,

  Oliver