Suggestion for Terms of Use for content

Bryan Berry bryan.berry at
Fri Jan 18 21:55:50 EST 2008

I immensely admire the Scratch website as a space for collaboration for
kids and adults. I suggest OLPC seriously consider adopting these same
terms of use.

Scratch Terms of Use

As part of the Scratch community, you are sharing projects and ideas
with people:
• from many different countries and cultures
• of all ages (from young children to teens and grandparents)
• with all levels of experience

We need your help to make this community a supportive place for every
member. Here's how you can help:

Be respectful. When sharing projects, remember that people of many
different ages and backgrounds will see your creations.

Offer constructive comments. Instead of just criticizing a project, say
what you like about it and offer suggestions on how to make it better.

Give credit. Feel free to make modified versions of other people's
projects - just make sure to give them credit. One place to give credit
is in your Project Notes.

Help keep the site safe. If you feel others would find a project mean,
insulting, too violent, or otherwise inappropriate, click the link from
that page: "Flag as inappropriate." (The Scratch team will review, and
may remove any project or comments.)

I think it would be great for OLPC to put together a team to
periodically review content tagged as inappropriate. This group should
include teachers and women (who could be teachers :) not be solely
composed of male software developers or pseudo-developers like myself.

Perhaps it would be good to set up a site like where
people could post their free clones of Grand Theft Auto or Leisure Suit
Larry. This would give people the freedom to do what they want and
maintain a safe environment for kids w/in the OLPC activities pages.
Frankly, I myself like violent games but I respect that they bother a
lot of people, particularly teachers and parents I work w/.

I will try to contact John Maloney of the Scratch team and find out what
particular procedures they have for reviewing content.

BTW, I really like ScratchR community site and think it is a great
option for hosting the activities.

I hope this doesn't start another rewar :)

Bryan W. Berry
External Relations Manager
OLE Nepal,