Openfirmware customisation problem - booting from USB

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Fri Jan 18 14:21:18 EST 2008

Mr frÿffffffffffe9dÿffffffffffe9ric pouchal wrote:
> Hello
> I would like to boot OpenFirmware from an USB key

On a conventional PC or an OLPC XO?

The former is supported; the latter could be made to work but will
probably require some changes.

> so I
> changed the file
>
> /openfirmware/cpu/x86/pc/olpc/config.fth
>
> I commented
> \ create rom-loaded
>
> I uncommented
> create syslinux-loaded

The syslinux-loaded variant in the olpc build directory is obsolete (it
dated back to the time when A-test OLPC boards briefly had a
conventional BIOS) and I have no plans to ever make it work again.

The syslinux-loaded variant in biosload build directory should work.