Violent games on the OLPC Activities page

Antoine van Gelder hummingbird at hivemind.net
Fri Jan 18 05:08:21 EST 2008

Edward Cherlin wrote:

> Antoine, you are turning this into an rwar. This is an ad hominem
> attack, as I'm sure they taught you. Stop it.

My apologies Jeffrey, Edward is correct.

It makes me angry to hear a person throw around words like 'censor' or
'freedom of speech' when those rights are not being threatened.

Censorship is the suppression or deletion of material, which may be
considered objectionable, harmful or sensitive, as determined by a censor.

Asking for material which could be traumatic to kids & communities who
have not have the good fortune to be born in a country that has
experienced unparalleled levels of peace and economic prosperity to be
kept off-site is neither suppression nor deletion.

> Treatment for PTSD requires gradually easing the stress to the point
> where the victim can stand to think about what happened without
> bringing it back. And about every other kind of violence, real or
> fictitious. They have to get to the point where they could play these
> games.

Yes, they _do_ have to get to that point.

But surely in a therapeutic setting ?

> You, sir. I fail to understand what bee you have in your bonnet.

I see the river of dreams running red with the blood of children.

  - antoine