[OLPC-Devel] Switch to a sane packaging and upgrade system

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at laptop.org
Thu Jan 17 22:54:40 EST 2008

Iain (XO) Davidson wrote:

> I definitely discovered the issue, when I installed a bunch of packages
> via 'yum' (like 'update', and programs mc, vlc, emacs,etc). Then
> suddenly they were gone after an update.
>
> Doing something via 'yum update' and some trickery with the XS server /
> DNS / creative package naming, might be the solution.  Like, having an
> easy method to 'yum update' via GUI after a 'olpc-update'.

While our update scheme would bother me a lot if I had
to use it myself, I think our target users would be
better served by a simple automated update scheme for
the system.  Also, think of the support issues for users
who have been messed with their systems by adding and
removing random packages.

At the same time, we have yum for the advanced users which
is very flexible, although far from being perfect.

I wish we could replace yum with apt4rpm, but I don't see
it happening unless someone volunteers to perform all the
needed integration work.

> Just my 2 cents to add to yours, :-)

with mine, we have 6 cents already!

--