B2s and OFW

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at vrplumber.com
Thu Jan 17 02:30:19 EST 2008

Mitch Bradley wrote:
> I don't have a B2-2, so I can't test that.  But I don't know of any
> reason why it wouldn't work.
>
> I just loaded Q2D07 on a B1. It seems to be working okay from the
> firmware side of things - I can do copy-nand network accesses and "dir
> nand:\" and things like that.  But the kernel is hanging somewhere in
> the early startup - no kernel messages on either the screen or the
> serial port.  I'm not entirely surprised; IIRC that B1 was flaky the
> last time I tested it, which was some time ago.
>
> Oh, I see what is happening.  This B1 has a bad 14 MHz clock - the OFW
> diags caught the problem.
>
> So my best guess is that Q2D07 is good on everything B and later.

I just upgraded a B2-2 machine that we're wanting to reassign to another
developer.  Seem to have bricked the machine.  Used an
auto-reinstallation image (machine appeared to have the original B2-2
firmware and OS image 216 to start), upgrade to Q2D07 seemed to go
fine.  Unplugged, removed battery, waited, replaced battery, replaced
power... no battery-charging light any more, no response on the power
button at all.  The machine has been sitting unused for many, many
months.  Had power applied for about 1/2 hour before the upgrade
attempt, charging light was showing properly then.

It's possibly just a coincidence that it's bricked on this update (might
have done it on any update, the machine has been sitting unused for a
long time, there could be a battery-discharge issue or the like).

Anyway, if someone has advice on how to un-brick (or debug) it would be
appreciated,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder