Classroom tools

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 12:37:15 EST 2008

My mother-in-law is an 8th grade teacher in Nobleboro, ME.  Maine has had an
Apple laptop program for the past few years in which all 8th graders receive
personal iBooks that they can take home with them.

She has a feature where she can silently watch a single student's screen at
a time via a VNC connection (a simplified Apple Remote Desktop). She uses it
when kids look distracted, and simply calls across the room to ask them if
what they're doing is "appropriate" after checking out their screen.  Plus,
the child's knowledge that they *can* be watched at any time is generally
enough to prevent them from doing anything really bad during class time.

A secure remote screenshot utility should be considered essential for
teachers to maintain control of their classrooms (IMO).  A "TV wall" view
showing a number of kids screens would be even better.  I'm not sure if
remote control is needed, as this would be a much greater security risk.

I'm not an educator, but I think the idea of a room full of kids looking
down at their screens waiting to be "called on" virtually seems a little
strange when you can just look up and talk.  Perhaps if you guys are
thinking about much larger classrooms and/or remote education it would be
worthwhile, but these things can be accomplished through chat as well.  The
question / answer idea does seem useful though, perhaps a Pop Quiz activity
where the teacher's instance shows a different interface from the student.

BTW, if you haven't already, I think it's absolutely worth studying these
existing US programs to determine how a classroom is run with this kind of
technology present before designing systems around usage patterns.  If you
would like to talk with her (or other teachers) I'd be happy to try and set
something up!

Best regards,

-Wade