ejabberd woes

Wilson Farrell wilsonfarrell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 00:25:27 EST 2008

I'll supply a few more details, now that I am on the list.

Below is my ejabberd.cfg.  I had to fake a fully qualified domain name.
  jibber.nc.rr.com does not really exist except in the /ets/hosts of my
fedora core 7 installation, and my two XO's.  Its in my home network, so
it doesn't really warrant having a fully qualified domain name.  But one
is necessary to make things work.

I built my ejabberd server in VMWare specifically for this purpose.  I ran:

yum install erlang fedora-usermgmt

and it installed an R12 release or erlang.  Upon reading the note about
the RPM's being built against R11 on fc7, I downgraded my version of
Erlang with erlang-R11B-2.4.fc7.i386.rpm.

I initially installed:
ejabberd-1.1.4-1.8.20071219svn1081.fc7.olpc.i386.rpm
but ran into an obscure failure when I started the server.  the sasl.log
said something about a syntax error at: ['*'].  There were no
uncommented '*' anywhere in my configs.  After scratching my head on
this for a while, I discovered someone had uploaded:
ejabberd-2.0.0-0.1.beta1.fc7.olpc.i386.rpm

I unistalled the old and installed the new.  Everything seemed to start
up nicely after that.

I added the admin user using ejabberctl (as the wiki does not indicate)
and went in and added the shared roster group (as the wiki does
indicate).  Before I even started the ejabberd server I did the key
setup stuff ( I guess its necessary to read the entire instructions first).

The indications are as I described them in my mail to help at laptop dot
org which was forwarded to this list.

Anyway below is my config (many comments removed).  Thanks for any help
you can provide.

override_global.
override_local.
override_acls.

{loglevel, 4}.

{hosts, ["jibber.nc.rr.com"]}.

{listen,
  [

   {5222, ejabberd_c2s, [
                         inet6,
			{access, c2s},
			{shaper, c2s_shaper},
			{max_stanza_size, 524288}
		       ]},

   {5223, ejabberd_c2s, [
                         inet6,
   			{access, c2s},
   			{shaper, c2s_shaper},
   			tls, {certfile, "/etc/ejabberd/ejabberd.pem"},
   			{max_stanza_size, 524288}
   		       ]},

   {5280, ejabberd_http, [
                          inet6,
			 http_poll,
			 web_admin
			]}

  ]}.

{s2s_default_policy, deny}.

{auth_method, internal}.

{shaper, normal, {maxrate, 1000}}.
{shaper, fast, {maxrate, 50000}}.

{acl, admin, {user, "wfarrell", "jibber.nc.rr.com"}}.

{acl, local, {user_regexp, ""}}.

{access, max_user_sessions, [{10, all}]}.
{access, local, [{allow, local}]}.
{access, c2s, [{deny, blocked},
	       {allow, all}]}.

{access, c2s_shaper, [{none, admin},
		      {fast, all}]}.
{access, s2s_shaper, [{fast, all}]}.
{access, announce, [{allow, admin}]}.
{access, configure, [{allow, admin}]}.
{access, muc_admin, [{allow, admin}]}.
{access, muc, [{allow, all}]}.
{access, register, [{allow, all}]}.
{access, pubsub_createnode, [{allow, all}]}.

{language, "en"}.

{modules,
  [
   {mod_adhoc,    []},
   {mod_announce, [{access, announce}]}, % requires mod_adhoc
   {mod_caps,     []},
   {mod_configure,[]}, % requires mod_adhoc
   {mod_disco,    []},
   %%{mod_echo,   [{host, "echo.localhost"}]},
   {mod_irc,      []},
   {mod_last,     []},
   {mod_muc,      [
		  {host, "conference. at HOST@"},
		  {access, muc},
		  {access_create, muc},
		  {access_persistent, muc},
		  {access_admin, muc_admin}
		 ]},
   %%{mod_muc_log,[]},
   {mod_offline,  []},
   {mod_privacy,  []},
   {mod_private,  []},
   %%{mod_proxy65,[]},
   {mod_pubsub,   [{access_createnode, pubsub_createnode},
                   {plugins, ["default", "pep"]}
                  ]},
   {mod_register, [
		  {access, register}