ejabberd woes

ffm ffm at intserverror.com
Sun Jan 13 19:54:33 EST 2008

Forwarded message by wilsonfarrell at gmail.com :

I have been struggling with setting up my own ejabberd server inside my
home network. I did this just to try a few things out. The public
servers (such as xochat.org) were just too crowded. I posted basically
the same thing to olpc-open and no one responded. I followed your
advice on:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Ejabberd_Configuration .

After much gnashing of teeth, I got things mostly working.

I am running two XO's as clients and one fedora 7 (not XO) as the
ejabberd server. One XO is an actual OLPC laptop and the other runs in
emulation in VMWare. The ejabberd server is also in VMWare. Both XO's
are running version 653. (I upgraded the laptop) As far as my problem
goes, it does not seem to make a difference if I am running a real XO or
an emulated one.

If I follow your advice in the section "Setting up a Shared Roster", I
get the following behavior. Sibling online uses may or may not see each
other. They usually do not. Shared activities sometimes appear, but
usually disappear after they are closed by a remote user, although they
remain shared by the sharing XO.

On a whim I decided to change the Members in my Shared Roster Group
"Everybody" from @online@ to @all at . Now I see the following behavior
which is a whole lot better than the @online@ setting (but not right).
Both XO clients can see each other in the neighborhood view,
consistently without fail. I can "make friends" with each other, but
that seems to do nothing except bring the other XO into the group view.
However, when XO_1 opens an activity and shares it with the
neighborhood, XO_2 does not see the shared activity (e.g., a shared chat
session) in its neighborhood view. Actually what happens is that the
position of the XO_1's icon moves (as if it is being refreshed) on the
XO_2's neighborhood view. It is not until I "invite XO_2 to Chat" that
it appears on XO_2's neighborhood view. Then I can collaborate.
However, once I stop the activity on XO_2 (not XO_1, the XO sharing the
activity), it disappears from XO_2's neighborhood view again.

I am wondering if the wiki is missing some critical step. The wiki is
missing other things such as the need to create an admin user before you
can access the web admin interface.

I can provide more details about configuration, etc., but I did not want
to as I was not sure this was the best forum.

Thanks,

Wilson