Marvell microkernel replacement

Walter Bender walter at laptop.org
Thu Jan 10 16:36:15 EST 2008

We've never closed this bug with Marvell and we bring it up
periodically--most recently I believe that David Woodhouse spoke up about
the issue. In the meantime, I believe that Albert among others is also
making progress on a FOSS replacement.

The other embedded system that contains some non-FOSS code is the embedded
controller. We're making some progress, slowly, along that front as well.

I am unaware of any non-FOSS firmware and as far as I know, all of the
system-level and user-space software on the machine is FOSS. Have we somehow
overlooked something?

-walter

On Jan 10, 2008 4:24 PM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I see on http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/46 that there is a plan for
> replacing
>   the proprietary microkernel in the Marvell wireless firmware with
> something
>   Free so that, as I understand it, the OLPC XO can be the first computer
>   be delivered running only Free Software.
>
> In private conversation with Richard Stallman, he told me that this is
> the only obstacle to him supporting the project fully. I see rather
> sporadic activity on the bug, but Walter has just said that we can
> reopen this with Marvell in bug 429.
>
> Anybody?
>
> --
> Edward Cherlin
> Earth Treasury: End Poverty at a Profit
> http://www.EarthTreasury.org/
> "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."--Alan Kay

Walter Bender
One Laptop per Child
http://laptop.org