New activity: Speak

Joshua Minor j at lux.vu
Thu Jan 10 04:27:00 EST 2008

Hi everyone,
   I made a new activity called Speak.  It is a talking face for the
XO laptop. Anything you type will be spoken aloud using the XO's
speech synthesizer, espeak. You can adjust the accent, rate and pitch
of the voice as well as the shape of the eyes and mouth. This is a
great way to experiment with the speech synthesizer, learn to type or
just have fun making a funny face for your XO.

I hope you like it.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Speak

Thanks to Arjun Sarwal, Hemant Goyal and Bernardo Innocenti for their
advice while making this.

Also, if anyone has experience or ideas on how to get access to
espeak's per-phoneme timing data from python, please let me know.

-josh