mesh portal discovery

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Wed Jan 9 22:29:41 EST 2008

On Jan 9, 2008, at 6:50 PM, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:

>> Just switch off the Legacy IP, as we should have
>> done months ago, and get on with making things work properly.
>> Anything else is a distraction.
>
> I sympathize with how overworked OLPC developers are.  But a number
> of G1G1 systems are getting into the hands of articulate net-aware
> people.  If they become disenchanted by the Legacy IP performance of
> the OLPC, what they say might result in hurting the whole project.

You misunderstood our local IPv6 evangelist, he wasn't proposing to
disable
IPv4 on the laptop, just not to support it on the school server
mesh.  Given that
all mesh capable devices will support IPv6, he's probably got a point.

Here is my take-home summary of this thread:

Short term solution is to turn off IPv6 on the mesh, and tell kids
that if their
network performance degrades, they should "click on the circle again"
which will trigger an IPv4 DHCP discovery of the nearest MPP.

Long term solution is probably to move to IPv6 only, using a user space
agent to decide which RAs to listen to.  This user space agent can
implement
Javier's suggestion to avoid flapping between MPPs.   Mobile IPv6 would
be frosting on the cake, but doesn't help with the primary problem of
MPP
selection.

Thanks,
wad