A jabber hosting offer...

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Sat Jan 5 23:39:31 EST 2008

Dave Belfer-Shevett wrote:
> I've just received my, er,  my son's XO, and he's ecstatic with it,
> enjoying fiddling with Python programs and other tidbits.  I've heard
> that the Jabber 'chat' functions are disabled on the US XO's, mostly
> because the existing jabber hosts can't really take the load of all
> these machines going out.
>
> I have machinery and bandwidth available for setting up a dedicated,
> fairly powerful machine specifically to run Jabber for the OLPC
> community.  I have no problems building, configuring, installing, and
> maintaining the machine in a colo facility in Bedford, MA.  I'll donate
> the hardware and time to make it work, if it'll benefit the project.
>
> I'm looking at a dual-Xeon 2.8 gig Ubuntu Gutsy box (1U) with a pair of
> mirrored drives.  The facility has multiple peered connections (it
> supports a series of VOIP servers), and is well managed.
>
> I have experience running jabber servers, and sysadminning.  Would this
> be of benefit to the community?
>
> Please let me know.  I can be reached on jabber at
> dbs at jabber.stonekeep.com , or email at dbs at stonekeep.com is fine too.
> I'm also (obviously) on the devel list :)
>
> Thanks.  I do want to contribute to the project in any way I can...
>
> 	-dbs

Some other people have suggested local Jabber servers, and I agree with
them. What I think would be really wonderful would be if someone could
make a LiveCD that would boot up as a Jabber server for XOs! It's a real
bear to configure one, and a LiveCD would make it feasible for
communities to do it.

I've been on the xochat.com server from time to time, and there are
sometimes so many people you can't really "meet" anyone.