loss of wireless after joyride-1496 update

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Sat Jan 5 09:34:33 EST 2008

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008, David Woodhouse wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 22:09 -0800, Dan Krejsa wrote:
> Attached are the output from 'iwlist scan' and dmesg. 'quibble' is the
> router I'm trying to connect to. It's a netgear WPN824v2.
>
> After collecting these logs, and making another unsuccessful attempt to
> connect to quibble (i.e. clicking on quibble's icon in the neighborhood
> view, waiting for it to stop blinking; winds up with no white outline),
> I ran 'iwlist scan' again. Then I went back to the neighborhood view and
> lo and behold, I was connected to quibble.

This sounds like GUI confusion to me. First you say it didn't connect,
and then you say it did. Please, use 'iwconfig' and 'ifconfig' to
confirm for sure whether you were associated to the AP. And don't rely
on Legacy IP -- run an RADVD dæmon advertising IPv6 addresses, which
will be much more reliable at giving you addresses whenever you're
associated.

If NetworkManager really is failing to associate, I'd like to see debug
logs from the driver while it does so.

I;ve seen my XO 'connect' to a mesh node, at which time all the other
nodes disappear entirely. If I highlight the connected node and select
'disconnect' the other network nodes show up again after a few min.

David Lang