loss of wireless after joyride-1496 update

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sat Jan 5 06:11:58 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 22:09 -0800, Dan Krejsa wrote:
> Attached are the output from 'iwlist scan' and dmesg. 'quibble' is the
> router I'm trying to connect to. It's a netgear WPN824v2.
>
> After collecting these logs, and making another unsuccessful attempt to
> connect to quibble (i.e. clicking on quibble's icon in the neighborhood
> view, waiting for it to stop blinking; winds up with no white outline),
> I ran 'iwlist scan' again. Then I went back to the neighborhood view and
> lo and behold, I was connected to quibble.

This sounds like GUI confusion to me. First you say it didn't connect,
and then you say it did. Please, use 'iwconfig' and 'ifconfig' to
confirm for sure whether you were associated to the AP. And don't rely
on Legacy IP -- run an RADVD dæmon advertising IPv6 addresses, which
will be much more reliable at giving you addresses whenever you're
associated.

If NetworkManager really is failing to associate, I'd like to see debug
logs from the driver while it does so.

First, enable debugging by:
 echo 0x6184 > /sys/module/libertas/parameters/libertas_debug

Then, run 'dmesg -c' to clear the kernel's log buffer. Then make the
attempt to join the network, then run 'dmesg > somefile' to store the
log buffer again. And mail the log to me, along with 'iwconfig' output
showing the current state of the device. If you can repeat the process
to show me both a working and a failing attempt to join the network,
that would be useful. Thanks.

--
dwmw2