shutting off wireless for air travel

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Thu Jan 3 22:44:10 EST 2008

Mitch Bradley wrote:
> This is all documented on the wiki.  See:
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Airplane_mode
>
> and
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Support_FAQ#How_do_I_disable_wireless_when_flying.3F
>
> If you don't want the wireless to restart automatically after a reboot,
> renaming /lib/firmware/usb8388.bin works.

Yeah ... when you take off, your XO is powered off and stowed. Then when
they allow you to operate it, you'll boot it up and the wireless will
come on until you can get to a terminal and type the
"sugar-control-panel" command. So ... I think this hack is necessary if
you're going to operate the XO in flight.