API Change Notification: Moving Rainbow's Spool - #5033

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Wed Jan 2 23:14:35 EST 2008

To date, /security is used by the initramfs and firmware to store the
developer key and activation lease. We also considered using it to
communicate with the initramfs, e.g. to install a developer key found on
a USB key but this has not been implemented.

/activities arose to be Rainbow's 'spool directory', in which it records
resource reservations (for uids and gids) and in which it stores the
filesystem skeleton (home dirs, instance dirs, data dirs, and tmp dirs)
used by the activities it is launching.

Some details of /security are scattered throughout

Also, a decent idea of how the spool is constructed and used can be
gleaned from the links in

specifically the configure_home() function and the check_spool()
function at http://tinyurl.com/ys2nsb

Does this suffice to satisfy your curiosity?