Kernel configuration options

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Thu Jan 3 13:36:43 EST 2008

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008, Mitch Bradley wrote:

> david at lang.hm wrote:
>> <rant>
>> ... the biggest benefits look like they would be in cleaning up the
>> userspace boot process. there is a _lot_ of stuff started that may not be
>> needed in the stable hardware environment of the XO laptop where there is
>> really only one program active at a time (dbus comes to mind)
>>
>> remember that XO is based on Fedora, which is designed for maximum features
>> and flexibility, not for efficiancy. This translates into poor performance
>> for the user.
>>

> Please add specific suggestions to http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/4349 .  That
> ticket serves as a collector for boot speedup experiments.

thanks for the pointer to the correct place. should there be a link to
this fairly prominently in the main wiki? or in the welcome message to
this list? there are probably a bunch of similar links that new
subscribers should be aware of so that they don't waste everyone's time
asking the same questions or making the same suggestions

> Tested results are especially useful; off-the-cuff ideas less so.

definantly. I haven't had time to dive in much yet (and frankly, the
tangle of processes in Fedora is one reason I've preferred to avoid using
it in the first place), but anything posted as a formal suggestion needs
to be tested.

David Lang