qemu and the file system and development

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Tue Jan 1 14:50:06 EST 2008

Steve Lewis wrote:
> I have gotten sugar running under windows with QEMU -
> no I have lots of questions
> 1) If I make changes in the emulated system are those changes remembered
> between runs?

Yes.

> 2) Can I have the emulator point at a part of the windows file system -
> allowing my tools to work
> on data to be used by the system

Easiest way is using samba.  If you were using Linux as a
host, I'd recommend nfs (fast) or sshfs (easier to setup).

If you manage to get Samba to work on the laptop, please
add a wiki page describing the procedure you followed.

> 3) How do I move changes I made on the XO to the emultator
> 4) How can I move changes I make in the emulator to the XO

scp and sftp are the easiest way.  On windows, try the
putty suite of ssh programs.

> Is there a way to hook an external ide to the image running in QEMU

Just share the source (and binary) directory with any
network filesystem.

You can debug C application remotely with gdbserver.
Python has its own debugger.

For development, I usually just ssh into the laptop as
root from my desktop, so I have fast scrolling,
cut & paste, etc.

--
 \___/
 |___|   Bernardo Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/