root password

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Wed Jan 2 21:26:17 EST 2008

I think we should re-enable the empty root password for
Update.1.

The reason why is that we have plenty of documentation in
the wiki and elsewhere suggesting people to login as root or
to su as root.  There should be at least a transition period
so the support people don't get flooded with questions on how
to login as root.

We could also use pam_wheel to let olpc become root with
no password using the friendlier su in addition to sudo.

Even better, we could put

  /sbin/mingetty --noclear --autologin root tty1

in inittab to circumvent the issue altogether.

--
 \___/
 |___|   Bernardo Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/