using the browser as an activity platform : pyxpcom / hulahop / Gears

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 06:31:49 EST 2008

On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Samuel Klein <sj at laptop.org> wrote:
> The core use here is being able to use the browser as activity
>  platform -- letting web developers good at JS code and test on most
>  any platform, and develop something that can be a first-class activity
>  within Sugar.  One example is Dan's javascript spreadsheet, anothe ris
>  a dynamic library (see for instance
>  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Dynamic_library), another is an existing web
>  service online that one might want to run locally.
>
>  In addition to pyxpcom, let me add Google Gears as a useful piece of
>  this platform, especially when offering local use of popular online
>  tools.  Off the top of my head, MediaWiki, MindMeister, I copy Ben
>  Lisbakken, a gears maintainer, who reports that there is a Gears patch
>  to make it work without extension support...  Ben, I'll also introduce
>  you to marcopg separately.

At the Google Web Toolkit conference in December 2007, many of the
developers, along with conference sponsor Pearson Education, expressed
interest in working on XO projects in several computer languages. One
of us could guest blog on the subject, or take it up on their mailing
list.

http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/
Java to platform-independent JavaScript compiler.

http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/
Current post: Spreading the word about pollution in the US: MapEcos,
built with GWT

This relates to the recent Engineers Without Borders query.

http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit
"This is the official discussion forum for GWT. "
--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/