Suggestions for a development environment?

Dana Pellerin dana at pellerin.com
Thu Feb 21 16:31:47 EST 2008

James, I too am brand new to the whole Python/GTK/Linux thing as well.
I'm really looking forward to reading about your experiences as you
learn and I have planned to document mine as well. There seems to be
very few entry level tutorials for people who are new to the entire
platform. Coming from the Windows/Visual Studio world, I've had a lot of
trouble just getting things set up so I can write some code. I don't
know how much I can help you with your particular issue, but I will
share what I am doing so far in case there are other folks struggling.

I have managed to get Ubuntu 7.10 running under VMWare. I downloaded a
prebuilt VM here:
http://isv-image.ubuntu.com/vmware/Ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.zip. It
seems to work pretty well and saved me a lot of install time. I then
used the built in package manager to install what looks like a pretty
decent IDE called Eric. The website is at:
http://www.die-offenbachs.de/eric/index.html. If you decide to use GTK,
check out a GUI builder called Gazpacho. It's like GLADE but seems a
little slicker to me at first glance. It can also be installed from the
package manager in Ubuntu, but the website is located here:
http://gazpacho.sicem.biz/.

You asked about mixing GTK and PyGame and I ran across a Wiki entry
saying it can't be done. I don't know first hand, but here's the entry:
http://www.pygame.org/wiki/gui?parent=index.

I don't actually have an XO laptop, so I installed it in a VM by
downloading a prebuilt image here: http://dev.laptop.org/pub/virtualbox/.

So that's the environment I have set up and I'm just starting to write
some basic "hello world" type apps using GTK. I have no idea how they
will appear or integrate with Sugar on the XO though. What I have not
figured out yet is how to get my programs over to the XO virtual
machine. This is where my lack of Linux knowledge is really killing me.
Do I FTP it over somehow?

Dana