Buddy list URI proposal, revised slightly.

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Wed Feb 20 11:45:00 EST 2008

Rather than invent a new 'friend' URI scheme, an alternative is to use
the standard XMPP scheme:
  xmpp:xo at nickname.xxx.school.country.xs.laptop.org?roster;name=Full%20Name
(see http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0147.html )  (Thanks, Robert McQueen.)

The xmpp server on the laptop responds to roster and chat requests at
that address like a 'normal' jabber client, so that we interoperate
with iChat, etc.  When a school server is present, it may publish a
SRV record for _xmpp-server._tcp.nickname.xxx.school.country.xs.laptop.org
specifying that it is handling xmpp requests for that user.  (See
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3921#page-88 ).

When attempting to connect to the xmpp server on an XO, we extend
rfc3921 in one regard: after (or in parallel with) attempting to
resolve the hostname via DNS, we hash it into a link-local address and
attempt to contact an xmpp server at that address.
  --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )