Moodle as OLPC Server

drew einhorn drew.einhorn at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 15:05:37 EST 2008

On another platform for another project
there has been some discussion of using Moodle.

One obstacle is the lack of a shared whiteboard.

There are several 3rd party whiteboards.

But, folks think the make they system more difficult
to use, maintain, and administer.

Any thoughts on how this issue plays out
for the OLPC community,
and in the wider Moodle world.

On Jan 27, 2008 8:39 PM, Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2008 4:22 PM, Nagarajan Vadivel <radius.consultancy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi Martin & Sulochan,
> > Thanks for your reply.  Before making any comments I wish to answer your
> > last question.  Yes I will be happy to work on Moodle for OLPC server.
>
> Excellent - there'll be plenty to do ;-)
>
> > So far as the other elearning framework, I suggest you to try DOCEBO.
> > I have experience in working on Docebo and in the process of setting up
> > Moodle server at
> > htttp://docebo.elearning.edu
>
> I'll have a look - thanks! [Quick check - where's the source code for
> it? License? Developer community? ]
>
> > My concern is that how the School server will be deployed particularly
> > installing LAMP for Moodle
> > Moodle issues are its demand for higher memory (4GB), higher speed and
> > higher server space
>
> Do NOT worry about moodle performance -- leave that in my hands. I
> have been working on Moodle scalability and performance for 4 years
> now -- 1.7 and 1.8 have been sluggish, but I did some serious work on
> 1.9 so that it's back to the kind of scalability we had in the 1.4/1.5
> series.
>
> And I'll tune the XS so that Moodle is pre-installed and tuned
> correctly. There won't be a problem.
>
> > I also plan to have the rack space with powerful Moodle servers for
> internet
>
> YAGNI ;-)
>
> Let's use that energy & time on other stuff. The XS will be pretty
> well performing and self-reliant for Moodle, MediaWiki and any other
> web app we need there,

Drew Einhorn