bar code scanners on the XO

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri Feb 15 18:44:43 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 04:35:36PM -0500, Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:
> As you are probably aware, it is possible to read barcodes from the
> camera, using software analysis.  See for example
> http://www.linux.com/feature/126948 .

I've tried this, using zebra, but found that it required a specific
format from the video driver that our XO kernel is not providing ... the
zebra developer said to me:

"unfortunately the current release only supports the v4l1
24bpp RGB image format.  the next release will support
many more image formats for both v4l1 and v4l2 drivers"

I've also looked into barcode reader units via USB, and they behave like
a keyboard, and keyboards already work.  I've put off buying one for a
couple of months though.