bar code scanners on the XO

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 16:51:21 EST 2008

On Feb 15, 2008 1:35 PM, Benjamin M. Schwartz <bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 16:24 -0500, Walter Bender wrote:
> > Has anyone used a USB bar code scanner on the XO? Any recommendations
> > as to a model we could use for an inventory project?

Ditto for Open Voting Consortium voting software. We print a 2D bar
code on the ballot along with a human-readable version of the voter's
selections. We are offering this software for use on XOs both as an
assistance to school and community elections, and also as an example
of a secure and auditable public application. It is written in Python.
Designers and coders welcome. Also statisticians, lawyers, security
experts, policy mavens, political activists...

> As you are probably aware, it is possible to read barcodes from the
> camera, using software analysis.  See for example
> http://www.linux.com/feature/126948 .

We will test the built-in camera on the XO as a ballot reader. Maybe
Mary Lou can suggest a suitable set of lenses, like her clip-on
microscope.

> Clearly, this will not be suitable for all applications, but it may be
> relevant.

Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/