Open Simulator with Physics Engine

Jeremy Fitzhardinge jeremy at goop.org
Fri Feb 15 09:23:41 EST 2008

Edward Cherlin wrote:
> Has anybody looked at this for the XO?
>
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/PhysicsEngines
>
> The physics is not very realistic yet. Presumably we could manage
> simple statics and dynamics, with graphs of position, velocity, and
> acceleration.
>
> I would like to have a simulation engine available for integration
> into e-textbooks. What other candidates are there?

I've been looking at using Chipmunk (a 2D physics library:
http://wiki.slembcke.net/main/published/Chipmunk) to do a simple
activity which allows the user to draw shapes freehand, and then have
them physically simulated.  By choosing different pens, you can draw
either fixed, rigid or flexible shapes.  People have already developed
similar programs using chipmunk, and the demo videos are very
interesting.  Unfortunately they seem to be under closed licenses.
Besides, a Sugar version would be most interesting with some kind of
mesh multiuser component, which would probably significantly change how
the program evolves.

I've done some very early prototypes on the XO, mostly by running the
Chipmunk test program.  It was surprisingly slow; I looked at optimising
chipmunk to use 3dnow, but I suspect the bottleneck is in actually
rendering (I have not profiled it properly).  I was hoping to use Cairo
for rendering, but it seems to be a bit too slow for smooth animated
rendering.

I was hoping to put together and announce something simple for people to
poke at in the next week or two.