Offer of help for Amharic

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Fri Feb 15 04:22:41 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 23:23 -0500, James wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Now that I have got Amharic working on my G1G1 XO, I spent some time
> today with a couple of Ethiopian friends, looking at the Amharic
> keyboard input and display.  They encountered a number of issues both
> with the keyboard layout and with the way the characters were displayed.
>
> How should I report these issues, and to whom?
>
> I've already been in touch with Bernardo Innocenti, and have tried to
> contact Marc Maurer (uwog).

Marc is currently a volunteer, and as such his time to devote to OLPC is
limited. Perhaps would be better to post your doubts/suggestions to this
mailing list and/or to abiword's. Chances are you will find someone else
interested or with the knowledge.

> I have 10 years' experience as a professional software developer but
> have only recently started working with Linux and Python.  My
> knowledge of Amharic could be written on the back of a table napkin.
> Nonetheless, I feel I could be a useful go-between and might even be
> able to provide a patch or two, if someone could point me at the right
> bits of code to tweak.

About hacking sugar, may be better to ask in the sugar mailing list.
Also, feel free to jump into #sugar at any moment.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/IRC#irc.freenode.net_channels

Thanks,

Tomeu