Open Simulator with Physics Engine

Rózsás Gödény rozsas.godeny at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 03:17:57 EST 2008

Hi

I saw this some time ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7eGypGOlOc

It's called Physics Illustrator. I know, it is developed by Microsoft
but still it's really cool.

Source code is available at:
http://research.microsoft.com/research/downloads/Details/aeee3085-a219-47d6-88fc-a2501f00800d/Details.aspx

it's not GPL but the license says:
"You may use this Software for any non-commercial purpose, subject to
the restrictions in this License. Some purposes which can be
non-commercial are teaching, academic
research, public demonstrations and personal experimentation. You may
also distribute
this Software with books or other teaching materials, or publish the
Software on
websites, that are intended to teach the use of the Software for
academic or other non-
commercial purposes."

It's written in C# but the code isn't that huge, so to rewrite it is
not a lunatic idea imho.

Gabor

On 2/15/08, Joshua Minor <j at lux.vu> wrote:
> On Feb 14, 2008, at 3:36 PM, Edward Cherlin wrote:
> >
> > Even point particles under gravity is good. I did some on the Apple ][
> > using TutSIM in the 80s--elliptical comet orbits, chaotic 3-body
> > orbits. My father worked on the famous bouncing ball program on the
> > old MIT Whirlwind in vacuum tube days.
>
> Indeed, there is a lot of room for experimentation and learning even
> in a very simple simulation.  No fancy 3D graphics needed :)
>
> >> Someone could port something like these:
> >>  http://arkitus.com/Play/?id=22
> >>  http://arkitus.com/Play/?id=18
>
> Although there is no mention of it on the page, these are GPL.  I
> spoke with the author some months ago.
>
> >> Soda or Moovl would make a *great* XO activity:
> >>  http://sodaplay.com/
> >>  http://www.moovl.co.uk/
> >
> > Hot stuff, but proprietary.
>
> The source to a simple version of Soda is published as Synthesis
> example #16 in
> "Processing, A Programming Handbook for Visual Designers and Artists"
> and can be found in the example code zip on this page:
> http://www.processing.org/learning/books/
>
> There used to be a simple version of Moovl with source on the
> processing site also, but the link is broken.
>
> Either of these, or a number of other folks' work inspired by them,
> would be a fine place for someone to start if they wanted to build
> something for the XO, which I believe was your point to begin with :)
>
> -josh

Rózsás Gödény