How to create a new MIME type for a Sugar activity?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Feb 12 07:38:38 EST 2008

On Feb 11, 2008, at 23:06 , Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves wrote:

> On 2/11/08, Karl <karl.ramberg at comhem.se> wrote:
>> Here is the list of
>> MIME types  Etoys claim:
>> audio/x-speex+ogg;
>> audio/x-speex;
>
> What are these two doing here?  The media type for Speex in Ogg
> (common .spx files) is audio/ogg.  audio/x-speex or audio/speex as
> it's in the process of being registered is only used for RTP.
> audio/x-speex+ogg would be another of those crazily made-up media
> types with no purpose.

Not quite. It's taken straight from
/usr/share/mime/packages/freedesktop.org.xml

   <mime-type type="audio/x-speex+ogg">
     <sub-class-of type="application/ogg"/>
     <comment>Ogg Speex audio</comment>
     <magic priority="80">
       <match value="OggS" type="string" offset="0">
         <match value="Speex  " type="string" offset="28"/>
       </match>
     </magic>
     <glob pattern="*.ogg"/>
   </mime-type>

So if any, it's made-up by those crazy freedesktop.org guys. I can't
quite remember where I got the audio/x-speex mime type from, possibly
I just googled mimetypes for speex files.

> I'm a bit bothered with all problems Sugar suffers from media types.
> I can't still find the cause why Speex does not work in the
> applications where it should, even though everyone suspects it's a
> media type problem.  I for one can't find it.  I have tried several
> "combinations" in case gstreamer expected any of them, and it led to
> nothing.  On the other hand, correcting the media types for Ogg video
> (video/ogg as opposed to three crazy x-something experiments) makes
> Theora video stop working.  I can't understand anymore who's to blame,
> if either the applications like gstreamer and etoys which are going
> for non-standard media types or Sugar, which relies too much on them.

Well, I do not know either. However, speex appears to work fine in
Build 691. I went here:

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/19616

and downloaded one of the speex-encoded files. It downloaded to the
journal and opened in Browse (Etoys was not offered to resume the
file). The browser plugin played back the file.

- Bert -