How to create a new MIME type for a Sugar activity?

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 17:06:17 EST 2008

On 2/11/08, Karl <karl.ramberg at comhem.se> wrote:
> Here is the list of
> MIME types  Etoys claim:
> audio/x-speex+ogg;
> audio/x-speex;

What are these two doing here?  The media type for Speex in Ogg
(common .spx files) is audio/ogg.  audio/x-speex or audio/speex as
it's in the process of being registered is only used for RTP.
audio/x-speex+ogg would be another of those crazily made-up media
types with no purpose.

I'm a bit bothered with all problems Sugar suffers from media types.
I can't still find the cause why Speex does not work in the
applications where it should, even though everyone suspects it's a
media type problem.  I for one can't find it.  I have tried several
"combinations" in case gstreamer expected any of them, and it led to
nothing.  On the other hand, correcting the media types for Ogg video
(video/ogg as opposed to three crazy x-something experiments) makes
Theora video stop working.  I can't understand anymore who's to blame,
if either the applications like gstreamer and etoys which are going
for non-standard media types or Sugar, which relies too much on them.

-Ivo