Keyboard layout (is: connect from console)

James james at openspark.com
Sun Feb 10 17:39:53 EST 2008

On 9 Feb 2008, at 16:50, Walter Bender wrote:
> If you can still boot and get to the console, you should be able to
> both configure your network and do an update.
>
> Are you familiar with the iwconfig command?
> It is in /sbin
>
> olpc-update lives in the /usr/sbin directory, which should be in your
> path on the root shell on the console. But if not, just use the full
> pathnames.
>
> /sbin/iwconfig eth0 essid [your AP name]
>
> /usr/sbin/olpc-update 656

Hi Walter,

Thanks for you patience.  I very much appreciate your help.

When running normally, my XO connects to the Internet via an access
point named "linksys".  This has  a key of C55999D652 and runs on
channel 6.  The router's local IP address is 192.168.1.1 and its MAC
Address, as reported by the web page at 192.168.1.1 is
00:18:39:B3:62:3B.  (For what it's worth, on the XO, iwlist scan
reports the Address as 00:18:39:B3:62:3C with a "C" at the end).

I tried the steps above using...

   /sbin/iwconfig eth0 essid linksys
   /sbin/iwconfig eth0 key C55999D652
   /usr/sbin/olpc-update 656

... but the virtual console complained:

   Could not download update contents file from:
   rsync://updates.laptop.org/build-656/contents
   I don't think you're connected to the Internet.

On a different (operational) XO, I tried the same steps and got the
same negative result.

On the operational XO, I used the network interface to connect to
linksys (Ctrl-Alt-F3, F1, click on linksys icon), then returned to the
virtual console (Ctrl-Alt-F1), and retried:

   /usr/sbin/olpc-update 656

That worked fine (sigh of relief).

It would appear that the steps that I am using to open the network
connection via the virtual console are incomplete or incorrect.  I
would be grateful for any help in determining exactly what commands I
need to issue from the virtual console to create the connection to the
network.

Thanks in advance,

James