How to create a new MIME type for a Sugar activity?

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Thu Feb 7 14:05:35 EST 2008

Tomeu,

I tried using the mimetypes.xml file in the activity directory with the
Sugar Emulator in Xubuntu.  It ignored it.  I then tried packaging up
the .xo file with setup.py dist and loading it on
my XO.  That didn't work either.  Today I opened the .xo file with 7-zip
and found that setup.py did not put mimetypes.xml in the activity
directory into the .xo file.  The activity.info file went in and so did
my .svg icon.  I didn't have to make a MANIFEST entry to get either of
those in there.  Do I need to do something special to get the
mimetypes.xml file put in?

It is possible that the Sugar Emulator is out of date.  It is a very
congenial development environment compared to the alternatives, so I'd
like to stick with it if possible.

In a related note, I was able to get my activity working by setting the
MIME to application/zip and being careful not to launch Etoys by
mistake.  However, it doesn't work for larger files (35 megs or so).  It
seems like that is a problem with the Journal application, not my app,
because I cannot copy this file from a USB drive to the Journal either.
In both cases log viewer shows nearly identical stack traces saying that
the file name is undefined.  I had a similar problem trying to open a 38
meg PDF in the Read activity.  The Read activity would start up but
never finish.  I have posted a message on this bug to help at laptop.org.
Smaller files open just fine, big ones don't.  That makes my ViewSlides
activity kind of dubious.

James Simmons