How to create a new MIME type for a Sugar activity?

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Wed Feb 6 07:43:23 EST 2008

On 04.02.2008 18:21, James Simmons wrote:
> To accomplish this I have created my Zip files with the extension
> ".slides" and I'd like to be able to use the MIME type
> "application/slides" for such files.
>
> I'm also interested in creating a reader program for Gutenberg etexts.
> I'd like these files to have their own MIME type too so they don't get
> opened by the Write activity by mistake.  I was thinking of using a file
> suffix of ".book" and a MIME type of "text/book" for these.
>
> I'd appreciate any information on MIME types

Sorry, you can't just invent a MIME media type. There are a few RFCs for
MIME media types which specify how your media type has to be named and
how to apply for an IANA registration. More info can be found at
http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/ . There also is a
specification how unofficial MIME media types have to look like in case
you don't want to register them.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel